The following is a top-six (I couldn’t think of any more) list I compiled in light (no pun intended) of the blackout we had on Friday:
- You look out the window and see 6 different families loading up their cars with laundry baskets full of frozen goods to take to their parents/in-laws.
- You look out the window and see 4 other families leaving their apartment all-together to go to their parents/in-laws.
- The lights will turn on 10 minutes before shabbos, causing you to let out a cheer and a dance, only to be embarrassed when the lights go back off after only 45 seconds.
- After bringing your cholent pot to a neighbor who does have power on Friday, they come back Friday night to inform you that they too just lost power, and so you therefore have no cholent.
- Because of their big mitzva of walking over in the crazy rain to inform you that their power was out, everyone’s power suddenly went back on.
- Your walk home from shul on Shabbos day is greeted by multiple people carrying hot pots of cholent from neighbors who had power all along.
Feel free to add any of your own!